Sunday, June 19, 2011

Litha Blessing Broom

Because Litha is only two day's away, I figured id decorate my besom.
Litha is the time of the Summer Solstice (Midsummer) and it a season of great solar energy.
It is the time when the Sun God is at his fullest, and the Goddess; being pregnant from Beltane with life. It is a great time of renewal. Out with the old and in with the new.
So one fun way to celebrate Litha is to create a Blessing broom, to sweep out negative energies in the home.
So I have taken my besom and added some flowers and herbs and such.
Litha is also a time of great magic, and evil spirits are said to roam the earth. So witches would take small bell's and tie them the the besom, so that when they swept the house the noise would scare the evil spirits away. So iv got me a few bell's tied to mine and also some ribbons.
When your done with your besom, you can hang it up in your house for protection :)
As you sweep your house, do this little chant...

Sweeping, sweeping, 'round the room,
Blessings from this cleansing broom.
From floor to ceiling, and all between,
May this space be fresh and clean.
Sweeping good energy here to me,
As I will, so it shall be.

If you want to consecrate your broom, which I do to all of my ritual tools you can. Here is the ritual I do to all my tools, you can use it too.


What You Need

Incense
Salt
A candle, preferably white
A cup of water
The tool to be consecrated

You'll need a white candle, a cup of water, a small bowl of salt, and incense. Each corresponds to one of the cardinal elements and directions:

North/Earth: salt
East/Air: incense
South/Fire: candle
West/Water: water
If your tradition requires you to cast a circle, do so now. Light the candle and the incense. Take the tool or other item you wish to consecrate in your hands, and face north. Pass it over the salt and say:

Powers of the North,
Guardians of the Earth,
I consecrate this wand of willow (or knife of steel, amulet of crystal, etc)
and charge it with your energies.
I purify it this night, and make this tool sacred.

Now, turn to the east and, holding the tool in the smoke of the incense, say:

Powers of the East,
Guardians of the Air,
I consecrate this wand of willow
and charge it with your energies.
I purify it this night, and make this tool sacred.

Next, face the south and pass the tool over the flame of the candle -- be careful if it's a flammable material like Tarot cards or a robe! -- and repeat the process, saying:

Powers of the South,
Guardians of Fire,
I consecrate this wand of willow
and charge it with your energies.
I purify it this night, and make this tool sacred.

Finally, turn to the west, and pass your ritual tool over the cup of water. Say:
Powers of the West,
Guardians of Water,
I consecrate this wand of willow [or knife of steel, amulet of crystal, etc]
and charge it with your energies.
I purify it this night, and make this tool sacred.

Face your altar, hold the wand (athame/chalice/amulet/whatever) to the sky, and say:

I charge this wand in the name of Old Ones,
the Ancients, the Sun and the Moon and the Stars.
By the powers of the Earth, of Air, of Fire and of Water
I banish the energies of any previous owners,
and make it new and fresh.
I consecrate this wand,
and it is mine.

Now you've not only consecrated the tool, you've claimed ownership. In many Wiccan traditions, it's considered a good idea to put the item to use immediately to bind the consecration and strengthen the energy of the tool.

Have fun with it :)
Blessed Be )O(

No comments:

Post a Comment